Salesforce Marketing Cloud welcomed 2018 by releasing lots of new features on January 26. Marketing Cloud has planned 5 releases for this year and we just got the first one.
I just got promoted to newbie Dad of an Angel in February and hence delay in publishing this blog.
I can see that Marketing Cloud product team is working hard towards their goal of making marketing cloud a configurable product rather than AMPScript / coding heavy one. This is exciting and I am sure we will see more features in upcoming releases.
Here are my top 6 picks from January 2018 Release. Which are your favorite ones?
1. Journey Templates
Journey Templates are accessible from Marketing Cloud dashboard or from “Templates” tab in Journey Builder. It’s an exciting feature which enables marketers to quickly create a journey by choosing a pre-defined, partially configured journey.
The best thing about journey templates is that it comes with a guided wizard which walks you through the steps to configure journeys.
Journey Template Screen in Marketing Cloud Dashboard
6 Journey Templates available now
Guided Screen from “Welcome Journey with Engagement” journey template.
2. Distributed Marketing
Distributed Marketing, the new product from Salesforce is Generally Available with this release. This product helps organizations (like retail chains, franchises etc) to streamline their marketing and branding experience to all their customers. I am still waiting to get hands on to the package so I can write a detailed blog on the same.
The Building blocks of distributed marketing are below.
- A managed package which must be installed in Salesforce CRM.
- Marketing Cloud Journeys which gets associated with Salesforce CRM campaigns.
- Content Builder to create content with consistent branding
- Salesforce CRM Standard Objects (Campaign, Contact, Lead, Person Accounts)
Distributed Marketing Flow
3. Live Image Block
This feature gives us an option to send a template email with Image A that changes to Image B based on a user-defined trigger. Think about a scenario where we send an email with a Limited time promotion image and after the due date of promotion, the image changes to show promotion expired image.
The available triggers for Live Image Block are
- Date and time
- Number of days after send
- Number of impressions
- Number of clicks
- A user manually switches image without defining a trigger
4. Mobile Push to a Data Extension
Just like Mobile Connect, Mobile Push was using “list” data model till now. Hereafter you can send push notifications directly to a Data Extension.
This is a great feature because now we can configure push notifications much easier and quicker. This feature will also reduce a lot of backend automation which transfers data from a data extension to a contact list for push notifications.
I hope we get the same feature for Mobile Connect as well.
5. Delete Contacts from Contact Builder
Deleting Contacts from Contact Builder was pain till now. We ran into issues especially while deleting Mobile Contacts. You should contact your Account Executive to enable this feature. This feature will allow you to delete contacts from sendable data extensions, Mobile Connect lists and email studio list at the enterprise level.
6. Email Studio Domain Verification
This is one of the best feature which enforces deliverability in Marketing Cloud. I have seen many clients who use different email addresses than the authenticated ones in their sender profiles. This affects the deliverability of the emails. This feature verifies all sending email addresses before its used for an email send.
We have a new section within Admin > Account Settings which displays all the Authenticated Domains for the BU. This is cool because we have clients with multiple BU with different sending domains. Now we can easily see which are the authenticated domains in each BU.
Verify option in Sender Profile for From Email Address
Verify option in Account Settings for Email Reply Address
Other interesting updates:
- Content Builder Officially Replaces Classic Content – Classic Content is Dead. Long Live Content Builder! The classic Content End-of-Life date is scheduled for July 2019 and no longer supported starting in January 2019.
- New Login Page – You will have a new login page experience like Salesforce CRM from now onwards and marketing cloud has made it easier to use forgot your password option.
- Marketing Cloud Help – Marketing Cloud help is moved to help.salesforce.com.
- More Web Safe Font Options – Calibri is one of my favorite font and now its supported in the content builder. Other web safe fonts supported are listed below.
- Palatino Linotype
- Arial Black
- Lucida Console
- Query Suspension – If a SQL query fails for 24 times consecutively, then the query is suspended and the user is notified. Once the query is updated and saved, then the suspension is removed.
- Show Full HTML Option in Content Builder – Using “Code View” option, now we can quickly switch to a full complied html view for a template based email. This makes editing template based emails much easier.
You can read the complete release notes here.